Sunday, November 14, 2010

Never Buy Ready Made Again - Easy 4 Pepper Salsa

By the time I have finished typing this post, we will have surpassed One Thousand Page views!! Wow!! That's Amazing!! So I would just like to say a quick Thank you for all your support in helping to get our ( Yours and Mine )  Good  Food Revolution off to a great start!  So Thank you all!!  Now back to your regularly scheduled post :)

I love making Salsa ..  Its such a great way to use up the extra tomatoes and peppers in the summer, which is when I usually make one a week just to have on hand. I use it for burgers, stuffing for meat , sides for lunch , nachos, quick flat bread pizzas...  you'd be amazed at how many different ways you can use a good salsa!    So you can imagine my delight when I walk into a local grocery store, in November and find fresh Ontario Tomatoes and Peppers!! (Hot House) and they didn't even want a fortune for them :)) 

The ingredients! Red Onions, Tomatoes, Anaheim Chili Poblano and Red Peppers, fresh Garlic,Sea Salt, Black Pepper and Lea & Perrins. All local except the avocado, and that didn't end up in the salsa lol. I used it as a topping after the fact.  Missing from the picture is : Olive Oil, Basil 
The peanuts were not used :) They were simply my snack while preparing food,  As I was also making homemade Focaccia bread and roasting a couple chicken breasts for later
.
Grab yourself a large resealable container ( preferably glass not plastic :) Start chopping and adding, doesn't matter what order , as you will be mixing it later .  The size of the chop depends on how you like your salsa .. I like mine chunky!  So I usually finely chop a small amount and rough chop the rest ( garlic and hot peppers I always chop finely )

Just keep chopping and adding until your bowl is full or you run out of vegetables. The mushrooms are for the chicken breasts I was cooking...  but they almost got added to the mix. 
 Now at this point , you will want to add a good glug of olive oil, A few pinches of dried basil, several splashes of Worcestershire Sauce, and freshly cracked sea salt and black pepper to taste. Then mix well before the next step.

I remove 1 cup for every 5 cups of salsa I make , and proceed to blitz it, using a stick/hand blender, into a thick paste.  You can skip this step for really chunky salsa , but it wont have that sticky effect . That makes salsa great for dipping and scooping.

  Add the salsa paste back to the bowl, and give it a good stir.

And there you are simple, easy, great tasting 4 Pepper Salsa. I would recommend letting it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before eating, but you don't have to . 

Now I realize a lot of you are asking  WHERE is the Cilantro ??  I've got to say , I'm not a fan. I do enjoy the taste , but the smell... well I won't say what I think it smells like.  Then again , the smell of skunk doesn't bother me .. So I know I'm a little different in that department.  So for all you Cilantro lovers... now is the time, grab your fresh herbs, and add as much as you like!  I won't be able to smell it, so its OK! 

This was a medium heat easy eating salsa, you can easily make it hotter, just add another chili or a few jalapenos to the mix or for ALOT hotter go for a habanero or scotch bonnet. Or if milder is your taste, remove the chili pepper, and add a few more sweet peppers, yellows and orange one look and taste great . 
That's one of the best things about salsa , you can adjust it to just about any flavour or heat level.  
I encourage everyone to give this a try, and let me know how it works for you!! I'd love the feedback, even email me a picture and Ill save them for a future post!     

Happy Cooking!
Rich


Follow Me on Pinterest

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Rich. Scroll back up 3 pictures - you have a Pyrex measuring cup with something silver in it - you are making a paste. What is the silver thing?

    Your blog looks great - it is just exploding with followers. WOW! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks Lindy , Over 1000 page views in 3 weeks!! Wild!! I would never have imagined 6 months ago.
    I fixed the pics description, Thanks . I should not assume everyone has all the same gadgets! Its a stick blender, is amazing for making soups and quick things. I can post a pic if you like ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this it looks so good. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. Gold Bullion Coin For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. pleasant bLog! its fascinating. much obliged to you for sharing. buy google business reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. I high appreciate this post. It’s hard to find the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it! would you mind updating your blog with more information? buy ig followers

    ReplyDelete